GSMO is a member organization open to employees serving at all levels of government, military, or education in the United States. Our primary membership is currently local and state government, and effective late October 2016, we are opening up full membership to our peers who manage social media in Federal government, U.S. military and U.S. educational institutions.
Because this is a membership network that is not open to private industry, please note that the approval process may take up to 24 business hours after registration while we verify your eligibility.
- You must have current or anticipated future involvement with social media as some aspect of your job, such as a contributor, coordinator or advisor.
– and –
- You must be engaged in GSMO in the capacity of your official government, military or educational institution (Not for freelance consulting or other private industry work. GSMO is not currently open to the private sector or international members).
Members must be current full- or part-time staff or an Elected Official representing one of the following entities within the United States:
- Local government, department, Board or Commission
- City, County, Town, Township, Village, Borough, Parish
- State agency, department, Board or Commission
- Regional or quasi-government, Board or Commission
- Airport authority, Water district, Park district, Library, Tourism Commission, Visitor’s Bureau
- Municipal, Regional, State & Federal Courts
- Public Safety entities such as Police, Fire and Emergency Services
- U.S. Federal Government
- U.S. Military
- U. S. Educational Institution
GSMO offers two membership levels, Agency and Individual.
Renewing your existing membership? Go to the membership renewal page.
An agency membership “belongs” to your eligible agency and is transferable to another employee within the same agency. It is typically paid for by the agency or reimbursed to the employee by the agency. Agencies assign a membership to an individual. If the individual stops working for the agency, then the agency may re-assign the membership to another staff member. The annual membership fee is non-refundable. Membership lasts for one full year from the date of approval and you will receive notification 30 days prior if you would like to renew.
An individual membership “belongs” to individuals who work for an eligible agency, is non-transferable to anyone else and is typically paid for by individuals rather than their agency. Because you are paying for this membership out of your own pocket, you may retain the remainder of your membership if you move to another eligible agency. Note that if you leave public service altogether, we reserve the right to discontinue your membership, as GSMO is not open to private industry. The annual membership fee is non-refundable. Membership lasts for one full year from the date of approval and you will receive notification 30 days prior if you would like to renew.